Preston Guild City • Port and Waterways
Skip to content Accessibility Options Page Home Page Skip to Main navigation Site Map Search Skip to Base of page Contact us

Preston Guild City

Port and Waterways

Riversway Docklands 1958

Preston’s economic progression also included the River Ribble and its banks, docks, historic bridges and associated waterways all integral to the historical landscape and heritage.

It was because of the Ribble that Preston became a trading port from the mid - 14th century, that growth in turn leading to its later development as an 18th century quay and large inland dock in the 19th century.

The river was also within easy reach of the city centre, providing a striking backdrop for Avenham and Miller Parks. The Ribble become important for transport and leisure activities, including the Penwortham Ferry, pleasure boating and the Preston Regatta.

It was in the 18th century that Preston was also first linked to the canal network, a factor that had a huge impact on trade. And while that eventually declined, the Ribble Link constructed in 2002 became the nation’s first purpose built canal in more than a century – linking the Lancaster Canal to the Ribble.

Image: View of the north side of the dock, 1948